Telluride.arts Announces Mark Fischer Poetry Prize
note: to hear Elaine Fischer's talk about the man and the prize, follow this link: /2010/04/mark-fischer-poetry-award-at-tellurides-wilkinson-public-library-427.html
Started by former Telluride Arts (Telluride Council for the Arts and Humanities) director and Talking Gourds Grand Poobah Art Goodtimes in 1997 and sustained by Mark’s widow Elaine Fischer and the Fischer family, the Mark Fischer Poetry Prize is named in the memory of Telluride’s much-loved poet, lawyer, skier and raconteur.
telluride.arts now invites submissions to the 13th annual Mark Fischer Poetry Prize.
Mark Fischer was a daring experimenter who combined a polyglot's command of languages with a quirky sense of humor and a passion for obtuse words. In that spirit, prizes will be awarded to the entry that best exhibits the qualities of originality, novelty, complex meaning, linguistic skill and wit. The wilder the better. All styles and content matter are acceptable.
Winners will be selected by a peer review committee. Awards of $250 first prize, $150 second prize, and $100 third prize, and $50 honorable mention will be presented at a celebratory reading in Telluride Friday, May 20, 2011. A travel stipend will be provided to winners living outside of San Miguel County region to attend the event.
· All poets residing in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah or Arizona for at least seven months prior to the deadline.
· Previously published work is acceptable so long as the writer retains the copyright.
Submission to the contest grants one-time use rights of publication to the Telluride Arts in local papers and in any future anthology of work. Copyright is retained by the author.
· A cover letter that includes:
o Contact information: phone number, email and mailing address
o Short (one paragraph or less) bio
o The title of each work
· Please submit each poem on 8.5 x 11 page(s) in 12 point font.
· Please do not include your name on your poem pages.
· Please include $5 per poem entered. Multiple entries are welcome.
o Please make checks payable to Telluride Arts or call Telluride Arts to make a credit card payment over the phone.
· Email submission is preferred but not required.
o Submissions By Snail Mail: Send completed submission packet to: Telluride Arts PO Box 152 , Telluride, CO 81435
o Submissions by Email: Please note Poetry Contest in the subject line and email your complete submission packet to email@example.com. We will notify you upon receipt. If you do not receive a notification from us we did not receive your application. Please contact us.
· Completed entries must be received by Telluride Arts by 5pm on Friday April 1, 2011.
For more information, contact Sasha at Telluride Arts 970.728.8959 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Telluwriter TIO (see all)
- SPEND THE NIGHT WITH JUAN JOSE! - October 24, 2011
- Long Beach Poets read in Telluride and Norwood - October 24, 2011
- Mountainfilm in Telluride awards $25,000 in grants - October 16, 2011
Comments are closed.