Editor’s note: In 2011, for the fourth time in a row (and running), the Library Journal Index of Public Library Services, a public library rating system, designated Telluride’s Library a five-star institution. The Wilkinson Public Library ranked fifth in the nation among public libraries with annual budgets of $1 – 5 million, hence the name of library director Barb Brattin’s semi-regular column.
Perhaps you are hoping I will say that using your phone is now permitted in the library. Guess what? You are absolutely right. The latest phone technology is making your library experience better than ever.
Libraries around the country are waking up to the fact that, according to Strategy Analytics, nearly one in three cell phone users are using smartphone technology. At Telluride’s Wilkinson Public Library, we have developed a free phone app so you can take advantage of the features your phone provides and connect with the smartest place in town.
• Forgot your library card? No worries. Store a photograph of your library card barcode on your smartphone and use the image to check out without your library card.
• Download e-books directly to your smartphone from OverDrive.
• Download free music from Freegal.
• Receive hold pickup email notices.
• Receive reminders about library programs
• Receive reminders about items that will be due soon.
• Pay fines online from anywhere.
• Watch programs you missed from our library website.
Download the Library App from our website and get:
• Full listings of library program events
• Recommended book lists
• Access to the library catalog where you can place holds
• Access to your account to check the status of your holds and renew items
• Direct links to text, email or phone to ask us any questions
• Reminders on library hours, holidays and directions
• Direct access to our Facebook page
So bring your phone to the library, or use all the great services we offer from the road. Wherever your travels take you, you’ll be connected.